Sabado, Pebrero 7, 2015

44 Honorable Lives

"Brave men rejoice in adversity, just as brave soldiers triumph in war."


There are traditional heroes, and there are modern ones.
A soldier is both.


When I was younger, I had a dirty little secret. My parents expected me to become a doctor or a lawyer. In a way I wanted that. But I also wanted to be a soldier. I never told anyone that. I figured that it might be a dream that might fade away in time, or a half-baked dream I would laugh about when I got older. 

As I think about it know, I realize: I could never be a soldier. I don't have the guts.
In a parallel universe where soldiers don't exist, our world would be in chaos. There is no peace. Anarchy is common, while death is prominent. 

I had a minor epiphany one day. It must hurt so much to be a soldier. Countless practices, battles and exercises that bend over not only their physical state, but also their mental acuity. They spend months on end for the army, with no direct contact with their loved ones. On a deeper note, they leave their family in the belief that their parent or relative might never come back. And that, is the cherry on the very bitter dessert.

I watched as the corpses are brought to Manila. Seeing the families of the soldiers who risked their lives for our country made my heart break. What hurt most of all are seeing the perished soldier's young children who could still not comprehend what happened to their father. One soldier even left her wife pregnant,ensuring that the child will never meet his father.

But let us be honest for a second. Death is everywhere. It happens everyday. And if you're a soldier, choosing that must mean that you fully accept the terms that you might die on action.

The difference of what happened to those 44 heroes was not what happened per se, but how it was accepted by our citizens.
Let me just say that what happened to those soldiers rocked our country's center. Tons of greetings and messages are sent everyday to those soldiers who died fighting for our homeland. Every single one reached out and offered prayers for them.

To the Fallen 44, thank you. I do not want to think of the horror that happened to you, but it doesn't make it any more true. People like you make our country proud. You are the best kind of examples of what nationalism should be. We pray for your souls, and we hope that wherever you are, your sacrifice will not go to waste. You will be remembered.


aacs x




Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento